Monday, June 9, 2008

Life in Argentina

At first glance Buenos Aires looks like any big city: congested traffic, towering skyscrapers, and swarms of people on the sidewalks. However, spend an hour in Buenos Aires and you begin to see it stands in a class of its own. Buenos Aires may be located in South America, but walking around you could easily believe you are in Europe. When you learn a little about the history of Argentina, you will understand why. Argentina was the hub for european immigrants. There is influence from Frances, Italy, and Spain. This is most prevalent in the food. Restaurants have a variety of dishes, ranging from pasta and pizza to croissants and other pastries. But vegetarians beware! The Argentine touch to these dishes is meat. Almost every meal has a form of meat product in it. For instance, I ordered a plain salad at a restaurant and my salad came with bits of ham. For meat lovers, you will be in heaven. Meat is Argentina´s specialty. My favorite dish is the milanesa. Milanesa is a thin slice of steak that is breaded and then fried. Delicious!

The program gives you two options for living arrangements. You can rent an apartment on your own or with friends, or you can live with an Argentine family. I chose to live with an Argentine family and I don´t regret it! Living with a native Argentine allows you to fully immerse yourself in the culture. The program does an excellence job of placing you with a good family, since everyone I know that is living with a family has no complaints. My host mom, Cristina, cooks me a different Argentine dish every night. Over dinner, we chat about the city and life in Argentina. The first day I was in Buenos Aires, Cristina took me all around Recolletta, the area of Buenos Aires where I am staying. She showed me the best shops and restaurants. It is like having a personal tour guide. For those considering the Study Abroad Program, I highly recommend living with a family. Of course, those who chose to live in apartments have no complaints either. The program did a good job of setting them up with furniture, phones, and full amenities.

No comments: