Saturday, June 21, 2008

Just Touched Down in London-Town

Hi all ... Well, as the other summer abroad programs come to an end, the summer in London program has just begun.

So let's jump straight in. I flew in with a friend from LAX (non-stop) with Virgin Atlantic ... For future travelers, beware the seductive allure of the Virgin Atlantic planes. You might get your own TV. screen, but you'll pay for it with a lack of leg room. The airplane food was ... well ... airplane food (doesn't really change much - chicken/rice/and mysterious green veggie goop).

On the plus side, I did get to catch up with some movies. I saw 'Definitely Maybe' (which I would definitely recommend ... maybe), 'Hitman' (which I liked even though it had no plot and was likely written by a 7 year old using crayons or an etcha sketch), and 'Horton Hears a Who' (which I enjoyed because I realized Carol Burnett is still alive and doing voice-over work).

Once you leave the plane, get past customs, and pick up your bags ... you have essentially two options to get to the dorms (Taxi or Tube). A Taxi is likely easier, but it's definitely on the pricier side (I heard anywhere from 40 - 50 pounds for a ride to the dorms - which might not be so bad if you share it with others and split the cost). The other option is the Tube (a.k.a. The Underground), which is what I took. You can purchase a one way ticket for 4 pounds, or you can buy an oyster card and it will cut the price in half (2 pounds). Of course, the underground is no picnic. You have to carry your luggage quite a while getting to the underground, and then from the underground station to the dorms (which isn't long ... unless you're carrying some heavy luggage - guilty as charged), not to mention the rather long tube ride (it took us somewhere between 45 minutes and 1 hour).

Once I got to the dorm, however, I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are adequate, though the bathrooms are small (but this is to be expected when everyone has their own restroom). There is plenty of storage space, the staff is helpful, and we have internet - yay - though you have to use a cord, which is provided for you.

I haven't had much time yet to do anything of importance ... I did manage to eat some Asian cuisine for dinner (it was good ... though the menu included rabbit meat, which I just can't wrap my head around for some reason).

Anyway ... I'll keep you posted.

P.S. - future travelers ... bring extra towels : - )

No comments: